Monday, December 22, 2008

Gear

You know, I just posted about how I don't have gear-lust anymore.

That's true.  But it doesn't mean I don't have gear goals.  : )

I have a massive (!) amount of debt.  I am making good progress removing it, but it will be a good three to five years before I am actually earning what I'm earning, rather than dumping 60% of it into fixing past mistakes.

When I get there, though, I may "upgrade" my studio. The plan, at present, is to buy a Virus TI, and a Machinedrum. I'll continue to use Ableton Live. I'll hang on to Stylus RMX for the drum-sample-ish loops, but I'll stop using most other soft-synths. And that's it.  ...I mean, if I find the TI isn't giving me adequate voices, I'll get a second one.  ...But the point is those are the the best tools I've experienced for music-making, and I would love to dig my heals in and master them.

...Not to say that will be the end. I'm sure Access and Elektron and Abelton will continue to make new products in the same vein, and I'll happily upgrade if they are true improvements. The point is more that I'd really like to have a minimal studio, but an excellent one.

No comments: